ITD3 Dev news #2 - Performance survey results
Infinitode 2 has been running a device survey since Aug '22 with the consent of the players. Thanks to everyone who have participated in our survey!
Survey results are available at dev.prineside.com/performance_report
The purpose of this survey
The collected data will help us better understand which devices we should aim for and which features we should / should not use in our upcoming game. I've also made it publicly available, just in case anyone would need it too.
Note: all of the statistics are collected from the devices supported by Infinitode 2. Although its requirements are quite low, some of the older / low end devices were not taken into account which makes these statistics slightly off the real-world values.
- Applying the filters according to the Infinitode 3 requirements shows that 98.96% of Desktop and 96.22% of Android Infinitode 2 players will still be able to play the sequel
- Android Documentation states that OpenGL ES 3.0 should be supported by Android 4.3+ and OpenGL ES 3.1 by Android 5.0+. In fact, 0.57% of Android 4.3+ devices and 1.64% of Android 5.0+ devices do not support the stated versions of OpenGL ES - that's what I've meant in the previous article (Android 8.0+ does not guarantee Infinitode 3 will run there)
- You can check if your Android device would be supported by Infinitode 3: search for your device model in the "Android device" fillter and check its OpenGL version (should be GLES 3.0+) / OS version (should be Android 8.0+) and Test results (should pass). Links provided here filter results by "Google Pixel 4 xl" - I'll use this device as a baseline to make sure the game runs at 90 FPS with high / 60 FPS with maximum graphics setting
- 96.38% of Android 8.0+ devices support Vulkan graphics (search for android.hardware.vulkan.version). Almost every Android 12+ device supports Vulkan
- Android Extension Pack (AEP) is supported by 96.32% of Android 4.1+ devices and on 98.68% of Android 8.0+ devices
- An average desktop device is 3.8x faster than an average Android device (in terms of multithreaded CPU compurations) and 4.5x faster than an average iOS device running on RoboVM (which is not a JRE / has no JIT compiler)
- 89.2% of desktop screens are FullHD (1920x1080) or larger. Infinitode 2 (and Infinitode 3) aims for a pixel-perfect graphics on the screens 1080px in height
- Also, some observations you can find at the bottom of the summary page
Also, some interesting (or not) info:
- Top 3 Android brands are Samsung, Redmi + Xiaomi and Google. Samsung, Redmi and Xiaomi devices make up 56.9% of all of the reports
- 72.7% of all of the Android 4.1+ devices have NFC, and it slowly becomes an "any device should have it" feature just like camera.flash / wifi / bluetooth features listed there.
- 27.8% of desktop players of Infinitode 2 have at least 2 monitors
- Poco X3 Pro is the most popular Android device among our players
- This one guy out of 136k players who has run Infinitode 2 on Arch Linux.
I hope you'll find these statistics interesting or useful